As promised, here is my yummy and super simple recipe for Ratatouille, a healthy but filling mix of eggplants, zucchini, tomatoes and many other vegetables currently in season here in France!
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed and minced
- 1 large onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1 small eggplant, cubed
- 2 green peppers, coarsely chopped
- 4 large tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 3 to 4 small zucchini, cut into slices
- 1 teaspoon dried leaf basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried leaf oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried leaf thyme
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
In a large pot or saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic and onions and cook, stirring often, until softened and golden. Add the eggplant and stir until coated with oil. Add peppers and stir to combine. Cover and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to keep vegetables from sticking. Add tomatoes, zucchini, and herbs; mix well. Cover and cook over low heat about 15 minutes, or until eggplant is tender but not too soft.
Delicious served with a fried egg on top or just seasoned with coarse ground pepper and a slice of bread!